Adil Ray 'Indian variant' interviews

chaggle

Adil Ray 'Indian variant' interviews

Post by chaggle »

I have been watching Adil Ray (and Susanna) on GMB doing a very good job on the government minister-of-the-day.

Yesterday it was Kwasi Kwarteng

The thrust of the interview was about the Indian Variant and how the government were allowing people to come to the UK from India but had red-listed Bangladesh and Pakistan even though their figures were much lower than India's.

All Kwarteng does is attempt to divert to how successful the vaccine program is - as if that has some bearing on the matter. Ray pulls him back into line...

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Today it was George Eustace - same subject.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

The figures being compared are the rate of infection - expressed as cases per 100,000 or 1,000,000 or something like that.

Eustace' angle was that India was testing many more people than the other two countries and therefore the rate was bound to be higher.

Ray doesn't do quite so well here. To my mind he should be pointing out that RATE is not dependant on sample size - that the rate can just as easily go down as up if you test more people.

But he calls Boris and the rest of them liars in quite a satisfying way.

Another thing - although he does a pretty good job here - I wish that he (and others - Piers Morgan was even worse) would simply ask an incisive question and let the interviewee condemn himself with his own words. They tend to say too much themselves and in doing so lose impact.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Re: Adil Ray 'Indian variant' interviews

Post by Tony.Williams »

Agreed, although judging when to intervene must often be a difficult call for the interviewers, given the tendency of politicians to ignore awkward questions and veer straight back to the "approved line" at every opportunity.