Veterinary Homeopathy

chaggle

Veterinary Homeopathy

Post by chaggle »

Apparently I signed a petition some time ago about veterinary homeopathy and I get email updates on how it's going.

The last one I received directed me to a Farmers Weekly article which led me to this...

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Does he believe what he's saying or is he just a fraud?

I find it difficult to believe that someone who has trained as a vet (which must presumably include some science) can think like this - whether he knows he is lying or if he's just deluded.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
chaggle

Re: Veterinary Homeopathy

Post by chaggle »

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

chaggle wrote: Does he believe what he's saying or is he just a fraud?

I find it difficult to believe that someone who has trained as a vet (which must presumably include some science) can think like this - whether he knows he is lying or if he's just deluded.
The human mind is wonderfully flexible.

I recall seeing a programme some years ago which included a US scientist with a doctorate in astrophysics who was a young-Earth creationist. His position was simple: where there was a clash between accepted science and his religious beliefs, the science was, by definition, wrong.
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

thIS sIGnaTure iS an
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

It's everywhere today - not sure why today particularly.

BBC2 had it on Victoria Derbyshire and The Wright Stuff had it as well.
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Good thinking society posted yesterday

http://goodthinkingsociety.org/vets-cal ... r-animals/
RationalVetMed

Post by RationalVetMed »

chaggle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:30 pmDoes he believe what he's saying or is he just a fraud?

I know Geoff Johnson, he practices not far from me and some of my clients have self-referred their animals to him.

I am sure he is completely convinced what he does is right and proper but he is seriously deceiving himself. For a vet to say "It can't possibly be placebo when you're working with a herd of cows" is a sign he has a very limited grasp of the way the disease process works in animals. But there are a few of them around, hence the reason some of us vet skeptics started the Campaign for Rational Veterinary Medicine, to try and put some pressure on our governing body to do something to stop veterinary homeopaths deceiving the animal owning public. The chap who started the petition, Danny Chambers, is also a member.

Niall
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Steven Novella has recently published an article where he criticises the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons on their position regarding Homeopathy.
“Homeopathy exists without a recognised body of evidence for its use. Furthermore, it is not based on sound scientific principles.”

The very next statement, however, is where they go off the rails.

“To protect animal welfare, we regard such treatments as being complementary rather than alternative to treatments, for which there is a recognised evidence base or which are based in sound scientific principles.

“It is vital to protect the welfare of animals committed to the care of the veterinary profession and the public’s confidence in the profession that any treatments not underpinned by a recognised evidence base or sound scientific principles do not delay or replace those that do.”

Ugh. Given their statement about passions on both sides, I suspect this was their bone to the snake-oil peddlers in their ranks. They bought into the CAM narrative. Essentially they are saying that it is OK to sell pure pseudoscience and nonsense to pet owners, and to subject animals to utterly worthless interventions, as long as they also provide real medicine first. Hey, this way you get to charge for real and fake medicine.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... more-10340