Coconut oil

chaggle

Coconut oil

Post by chaggle »

This has been THE food fad for the last couple of years. I never bothered to find out much about - just assumed that it was another useless and unnecessary supplement.

Turns out I was wrong - it's worse than that...

https://news.sky.com/story/coconut-oil- ... ssion=true
Coconut oil 'pure poison', says Harvard professor
Coconut oil is "one of the worst foods you can eat" and is "pure poison", a Harvard professor has said.

In a speech at the prestigious American university, Dr Karin Michels warned against consuming it.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Croydon13013

Re: Coconut oil

Post by Croydon13013 »

Well, "pure poison" is obviously an exaggeration. That it isn't good for you has been known for a long time. The NHS recommends against consumption. But it is probably not quite as bad for you as palm oil and that is in lots and lots of things.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
Matt

Post by Matt »

I thought the main problem with palm oil was the destruction of the wild habitats where Orang Utan's lived. Didn't think it was poisoning my peanut butter,

I remember shopping around for coconut oil trying to replicate Ben Goldacre's entrepreneurial experiments with home made moisturiser. Turned out that very small pots are very expensive from health food outlets and supermarkets but that massive tubs were cheap as chips at the corner shop. Though maybe it was the wrong kind as the experiment was a total bust with an end result more like beef dripping than moisturiser.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Croydon13013 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm Well, "pure poison" is obviously an exaggeration. That it isn't good for you has been known for a long time. The NHS recommends against consumption. But it is probably not quite as bad for you as palm oil and that is in lots and lots of things.
The Karin Michaels comment is all over the news channels, and has been quoted many times since the video, in German, was published on Youtube on July 10th. I came across a more measured article, via CNN.

"Is coconut oil really 'pure poison?' The facts behind the claim."

https://www.fox4now.com/lifestyle/is-co ... -the-claim

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Matt wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:29 pm I thought the main problem with palm oil was the destruction of the wild habitats where Orang Utan's lived. Didn't think it was poisoning my peanut butter,
The primary criticism of coconut oil is the high level of saturated fat - 82%. Palm oil can be as high as 86% (although apparently it can be as low as 49%, I don't understand the differences). Neither have much in the way of "good fats" but coconut oil is alleged to have more.

It's not a subject that I know enough about to even be able to make sense of the large amount of contradictory info.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an