Glastonbury myths 'made up by 12th-century monks'.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Glastonbury myths 'made up by 12th-century monks'.

Post by bindeweede »

Those feet, immortalised in William Blake’s poem Jerusalem, never walked on the green and pleasant land of Glastonbury; the oldest church in England was not built there by Christ’s disciples; Joseph of Arimathea’s walking stick does not miraculously flower every Christmas after 2,000 years. And it turns out that the supposed link with King Arthur and his beautiful queen, Guinevere, is false too – invented by 12th-century monks faced with a financial crisis in the wake of a disastrous fire.
“We are not in the business of destroying people’s beliefs,” Gilchrist, who is now a trustee of Glastonbury, said.
Can beliefs be destroyed anyway? I don't know, but I feel that would be unlikely coming from a newspaper article or from some archaeologists.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... tury-monks
chaggle

Re: Glastonbury myths 'made up by 12th-century monks'.

Post by chaggle »

bindeweede wrote:
Those feet, immortalised in William Blake’s poem Jerusalem, never walked on the green and pleasant land of Glastonbury; the oldest church in England was not built there by Christ’s disciples; Joseph of Arimathea’s walking stick does not miraculously flower every Christmas after 2,000 years. And it turns out that the supposed link with King Arthur and his beautiful queen, Guinevere, is false too – invented by 12th-century monks faced with a financial crisis in the wake of a disastrous fire.
“We are not in the business of destroying people’s beliefs,” Gilchrist, who is now a trustee of Glastonbury, said.
Can beliefs be destroyed anyway? I don't know, but I feel that would be unlikely coming from a newspaper article or from some archaeologists.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... tury-monks
It certainly won't destroy the Glastonbury myth.

It's a very spiritual place. For a start it's on a ley line - several in fact. And it's full of people who are awakened and on a different plane.

And making money.

And it's lots of fun.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

bindeweede wrote:Those feet, immortalised in William Blake’s poem Jerusalem, never walked on the green and pleasant land of Glastonbury; the oldest church in England was not built there by Christ’s disciples; Joseph of Arimathea’s walking stick does not miraculously flower every Christmas after 2,000 years. And it turns out that the supposed link with the largely mythical King Arthur and his completely imaginary beautiful queen, Guinevere, is false too – invented by 12th-century monks faced with a financial crisis in the wake of a disastrous fire.
Fixed it for you ;)

Whenever I hear "And did those feet..." etc it reminds me that it was the answer in one joke quiz to the question "what is the longest question in literature to which the answer is 'no'?"
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

chaggle wrote: It's a very spiritual place. For a start it's on a ley line - several in fact.
Considering that they started drawing ley lines by connecting up sites of mystical significance that might be described as "inevitable" :rofl
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

As a Glastonbury person I can confirm that the tree on Wearyall Hill does indeed flower every winter - at least it DID until some prat decided to vandalise it.... :x