"To save Britain’s democracy we must fix our creaking constitution."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"To save Britain’s democracy we must fix our creaking constitution."

Post by bindeweede »

A recently-published article from David Allen Green.
The relationships between the elements of the state—legislature, executive and judiciary—are still pretty much as Walter Bagehot described and AV Dicey theorised in the late 19th century. If there were a picture album for the constitution of the United Kingdom, it would be made up of black-and-white plates.

But this venerable constitution is at breaking point, and we are only one more foolish or cynical act from Prime Minister Boris Johnson away from a full-on constitutional crisis the outcome of which nobody can predict.
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/poli ... nstitution
Tony.Williams

Re: "To save Britain’s democracy we must fix our creaking constitution."

Post by Tony.Williams »

I have felt for a long time that electoral reform should be evaluated impartially with a view to making changes.

On the other hand, some argue that the constitution is working quite well. The fact that the Commons is hopelessly divided over Brexit merely reflects the division in the country, and the activities of MPs to corral the executive are (so far) working - in fact working a lot better than they have been in recent decades, when the executive became more powerful.
Tony.Williams

Re: "To save Britain’s democracy we must fix our creaking constitution."

Post by Tony.Williams »

An interesting opinion peace by A C Grayling, published in The New European: How Brexit marks the end of the British story https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6322238

I don't agree with all of it, but there's a lot that rings true to me.