Scottish independence

Tony.Williams

Scottish independence

Post by Tony.Williams »

This topic is likely to feature somewhat this year, so to kick off here's a fascinating analysis in The New European: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit ... ce-6895022

I had no idea that the Scottish parliament's voting system was open to such "gaming", which could have such a dramatic impact on the outcome.

Not looking too good for the Conservative and Unionist Party...
chaggle

Re: Scottish independence

Post by chaggle »

Interesting times ahead for sure.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Re: Scottish independence

Post by Matt »

Interesting voting tactics. Had to read the section about the electoral system twice and then check wikipedia before I understood it. Difficult to believe that people campaigned against AV on the grounds the that it was too complicated for voters to understand when clearly voters are not only understanding but gaming a far more complex system.

I don't get a vote in the matter and believe it's up to the Scots. However from a outside point of view I thought both campaigns in the last referendum were quite misleading. Independence regarding Scotland Oil wealth and Unionists campaigning on the basis that staying in the UK was the only way to assure continued membership of the EU.

It's the latter that I think opens to door to a second referendum.

Whether Boris OKs it or not I think they should at least go through the motions. There's precedent for a non-binding referendum resulting in the dissolution of a union. Or is even that one of the powers reserved for Whitehall.

To be clear my support is for a referendum, not Scottish independence. I'd be disappointed if the scots left but I don't think it should be up to the English to make that decision. If you love them set them free and all that.