Late night music.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Late night music.

Post by bindeweede »

Mark Twain's alleged remarks about Wagner.
Wagner’s music is better than it sounds.
And...
I have witnessed and greatly enjoyed the first act of everything which Wagner created, but the effect on me has always been so powerful that one act was quite sufficient; whenever I have witnessed two acts I have gone away physically exhausted; and whenever I have ventured an entire opera the result has been the next thing to suicide.
Many years ago the conductor Lorin Maazel made an orchestral arrangement of the best bits of "The Ring" - no singing! Still over one hour.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A little Slavic melancholy, and some fireworks too. Tchaikovsky's Dumka Op 59, played here by a young Slovenian pianist, Primož Urbanč.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A Liszt transcription of a Bach organ Prelude and Fugue, played by the brilliant young Dutch pianist, Hannes Minnaar. Restrained and refined playing, but he builds up effectively towards the end of the fugue, without going OTT in left hand.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Lux Aeterna (Nimrod - Elgar)

Strangely powerful in these dreadful times.

chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Sadly - not President of Ukraine and his wife as widely claimed on social media - but nice all the same

Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A charming topical piece by the Russian composer Nikolai Medtner, complete with pretty pics. "Primavera" - Spring.

Tom_I

Post by Tom_I »

Here's Paul Simon's song "April, Come She Will", which cropped up on BBC Radio 3 yesterday, and which I had forgotten about, even though I have it on CD. It first appeared, sung by Simon, in his 1965 album "The Paul Simon Songbook", and the following year it was included in the second Simon and Garfunkel album "Sounds of Silence", transposed up slightly and sung by Art Garfunkel.

It's less than two minutes long, and based on a children's rhyme about the seasonal appearance of the cuckoo, though turned here into an allegory of transient love. This is a live performance from a concert given in Central Park, New York, in 1981.

Tom_I

Post by Tom_I »

I quite enjoyed this performance of Asturias from the Suite Española by Albéniz. Like so many quintessential Spanish guitar pieces, it was originally written for the piano, not the guitar at all. You don't hear the original very often, and some pianists take it very fast, and make a bit of a mess of it, in my opinion. I think this guy does a pretty good job.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Vladimir Horowitz playing Schumann - Träumerei.