Which instrument for you?

Tony.Williams

Which instrument for you?

Post by Tony.Williams »

The BBC has posted a quiz to enable you to choose the most suitable musical instrument for you to learn: https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/bb ... _rm_low_c3

My natural instrument apparently is the violin. I have never tried to play one, but I can take satisfaction in knowing I could have been a great violinist if only I had been given the opportunity
:sma
bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Which instrument for you?

Post by bindeweede »

The quiz suggests I learn to play the drums. Interestingly (or not) I played the timps in the Uni orchestra for a couple of years, but moved on. It can be quite nerve-racking - if you have 452 bars rest to count, but you get it wrong and hit the buggers a bar early, EVERYBODY notices. :lol:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Me too - drums.

I have some experience with drummers in pop/rock groups and they have one thing in common - insanity.

They share this with chefs.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

You should learn the bass

No instrument is given as little credit for doing as much work as the bass. Electric or acoustic, double or synth, the low end rumble is what gives music its form and power, and without it, Beethoven would sound weedy, funk would sound silly and drum 'n' bass would be just percussion. There are transport issues, particularly for double bassists, but at least they know they're integral to proceedings, and when they do let rip - whether it's slap bass or rockabilly - they're practically a one-man band.
Yeah, dig that base, maaan :thumb:

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
Matt

Post by Matt »

You should learn the theremin
Oh sure, conventional musical instruments are fine in their own way, but aren't they a little bit... objecty? With a theremin, your playing surface is air, you control pitch with one hand and volume with the other, and you make an eerie, unearthly noise, a bit like an electric saw, while you stand wafting your hands about like a magician. It's among the most theatrical of instruments, and doesn't fit every type of music, but when you find exactly the right setting, the results can be breathtaking.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Actually, the instrument I would most like to be able to play, because for me it produces the most evocative sound, is the piano accordion.

Needless to say, Peter Sarsted's 'Where do you go to my lovely' is one of my favourite pop songs of that era.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Tony.Williams wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am Actually, the instrument I would most like to be able to play, because for me it produces the most evocative sound, is the piano accordion.
I was rather hoping that the piano accordian would have been the chosen quiz instrument for me, as I do own and play one.

Needless to say, Peter Sarsted's 'Where do you go to my lovely' is one of my favourite pop songs of that era.
One of my faves too!... though it's mostly Irish ballads and rebel songs that I like to chuck out. Many years ago, a pub local to where I lived who had regular live (Irish) music at the weekends asked if I would fill in temporarily for their regular accordian player for the time he was away on holiday (and get paid for doing so). I said I'm really just used to playing it on my own and not sure if I'd be any good at playing along with other guys in a band. They replied oh that wouldn't matter - it would be so noisy with all the singing and everyone would be too drunk to notice anyway ... :| Needless to say, I didn't take up the offer.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

bindeweede wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 pm The quiz suggests I learn to play the drums. Interestingly (or not) I played the timps in the Uni orchestra for a couple of years, but moved on. It can be quite nerve-racking - if you have 452 bars rest to count, but you get it wrong and hit the buggers a bar early, EVERYBODY notices. :lol:
My dream, never to be realised now, I fear, was to "play" the bass drums in the Dies Irae of Verdi's Requiem.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

I got the ukulele! Which is so right because I have been meaning to get one.I tried for years with the guitar but it was not for me.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Well, as I recall they are supposed to be good for cleaning windows, or something... :gmc
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Very popular instrument around here - practically every village and club has its own uke band.

Relatively easy to play - cheap and fun.

'You can't play a ukulele without smiling'.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

Tony.Williams wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:32 am Well, as I recall they are supposed to be good for cleaning windows, or something... :gmc
That would be great because I am craaap at cleaning windows.... :lol