My new blog

chaggle

My new blog

Post by chaggle »

I've set up a blog and done a couple of posts in response to some woo stuff that came up on my FB feed.

I have written it with a specific readership in mind.

Any comments appreciated (be gentle :y )

https://jimenotheskep.wordpress.com/
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: My new blog

Post by bindeweede »

A good start - looks very promising. If you are focusing on some of the stranger claims of "alternative" treatments, you won't be short of material. :thumb: :thumb:
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Yep, keeping it short and simple is important if products of the Twitter age and going to read it.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Yes - short and simple to the point of naivety is the aim. I'm trying to come over as an innocent who has seen something interesting, would like to know more about it but can't find anything, in the hope that someone will come back and try to put me right.

I've tried to have conversations on FB before with such people and they tend to lose interest when you ask a difficult question like 'What makes you think that?' They also don't like to be questioned about their assertions on their own threads which is why a thought I'd start a blog.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Which reminds me of a quote I posted here recently:

"Somewhere we taught ourselves that our opinions are more significant than the facts. And somehow we get our egos and our opinions and Truth all mixed up in a single package, so that when someone does challenge one of the notions to which we subscribe, we react as if it challenges us."

From Jack McDevitt, in his novel Omega.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

chaggle wrote:Yes - short and simple to the point of naivety is the aim. I'm trying to come over as an innocent who has seen something interesting, would like to know more about it but can't find anything, in the hope that someone will come back and try to put me right.
That type of approach doesn't work (on a 'believers' site) as it's usually seen right through straight away :y - at least where the admin/owner (and regular members) of the site are on the ball. :roll:

chaggle wrote:I've tried to have conversations on FB before with such people and they tend to lose interest when you ask a difficult question like 'What makes you think that?' They also don't like to be questioned about their assertions on their own threads which is why a thought I'd start a blog.
It's not that it would be a "difficult question" for the party where they "lose interest" ... more likely that the already suspected agenda is beginning to show - and the poser is then simply being ignored. ;) Image

Good luck with the new blog, chaggle - but I honestly think you would have more luck in that specific quest if you were to just Be Yourself. 8-)

FaceBook and blogs tend to be one-sided and biased anyway from the point of view of the owner [I was going to say the 'creator', but thought that might be construed as to mean something entirely different ... :) ] - that's why I personally don't have much use for either. As for Twitter .... with its character-limited, mundane diary entries ..... Image ... it's only real useful purpose is to use it as a signpost, quoting links to articles of interest and to areas that allow a bit more detailed content on the particular Tweet of the Day.

Forums like this one have the potential to offer a much more appropriate platform for fair and balanced debate, with room for some humour and fun as well. It's such a shame that the online forum 'scene' appears everywhere to be dwindling almost to the point of oblivion.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~