Bathroom Scales

chaggle

Bathroom Scales

Post by chaggle »

Got a new set.

We usually keep them in a convenient space between the loo and the bath leaning up against the bath.

However OH has noticed that the instructions say they must be stored flat which is a bit of a pain - it doesn't say why and I can't find out why they say that

Any ideas? :con
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Re: Bathroom Scales

Post by Tony.Williams »

Such an esoteric topic is well beyond my professional competence, but I am of course prepared to make an authoritative guess :ang

If the scales are mechanical rather than electronic, then they will be calibrated so that the gravitational pull on the weighing surface compresses the spring just enough for the scale to indicate zero weight. If the scales are stored vertically then the spring will not be under the same compression, and may take a "set" at this lower compression, which could throw out the calibration. Hope that's clear :shock:

If the scales are electronic, then you're on your own... :con
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Hmmm. I suspect most scales have a mechanical element whether or not the display is electronic.

I suspect you might be right - it's to do with the set of the weighing mechanism becoming distorted through gravity.

If it's going to damage the thing irreparably that's one thing but If it's just a small calibration error I could live with it - my 100 Kilos is way beyond worrying about a few grams here and there - nearest Kilo will do. :oops:
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

:eek: You are never 100 kilos...?! Then you are more than 2 of me....
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tinkerbell wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm :eek: You are never 100 kilos...?! Then you are more than 2 of me....
I carry it well. ;)