Strawman vs reductio ad absurdum

chaggle

Strawman vs reductio ad absurdum

Post by chaggle »

The argument goes...
So you - 'remoaner' - are saying that one of the principal raisons d'etre of the EU is to promote peace in Europe.

Do you seriously think that if we leave the EU we'll see German bombers over London or frigates blockading Cadiz?
Strawman for sure but does it fit reductio ad absurdum as well?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Re: Strawman vs reductio ad absurdum

Post by Tony.Williams »

A silly example.

What we might see is Spain taking over Gibraltar. Probably not using troops - much more effective just to send thousands and thousands of unarmed women flooding into the territory and occupying the place.
Matt

Post by Matt »

chaggle wrote:The argument goes...
So you - 'remoaner' - are saying that one of the principal raisons d'etre of the EU is to promote peace in Europe.

Do you seriously think that if we leave the EU we'll see German bombers over London or frigates blockading Cadiz?
reductio ad absurdum isn't a logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote:A silly example.
Totally absurd but such is the current state of things that I've been hearing it or a variant once a week for the last year.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Matt wrote:
chaggle wrote:The argument goes...

reductio ad absurdum isn't a logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
Yup - got it now. :thumb: