"wisdom" quotes

Tony.Williams

"wisdom" quotes

Post by Tony.Williams »

I was verifying the origin of a quote (correctly) attributed to Albert Einstein: "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." and came across a whole batch of such sayings, mostly platitudinous but some decidedly questionable: https://www.quotesaga.com/quote/626

"Follow your instincts. That's where true wisdom manifests itself." (Oprah Winfrey). Really? As a result of our distant, tribal past we instinctively distrust those who are different from ourselves, something only overcome by social conditioning. "Following their instincts" is what racists and homophobes do.

"Superstition is to religion what astrology is to astronomy; the mad daughter of a wise mother." Too easy a target, this one. Astrology is fantasy, astronomy is evidence-based science. Religion is merely one form of superstition, albeit rather heavily organised and controlled.

There are many more....
Tinkerbell

Re: "wisdom" quotes

Post by Tinkerbell »

These quotes annoy me when they turn up on my facebook feed. Usually as a subtle dig at someone or a big hint that something is not right in someone's life, I always think.
(By the way, why do I get this when I follow the link? 'The owner of www.quotesaga.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.')
Matt

Post by Matt »

Looks like they're using cloudflare to provide DDoS protections but the certificate that Cloudflare are using allow secure browsing, has a problem.
It doesn't include the information that authenticates whoever supplied the certificate.

If you're not sending sensitive information and don't much care if someone is snooping on what quotes you're looking up then you can choose to ignore that the certificate doesn't authenticate the site by choosing show advance and then proceed to site.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Tinkerbell wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm These quotes annoy me when they turn up on my facebook feed. Usually as a subtle dig at someone or a big hint that something is not right in someone's life, I always think.
(By the way, why do I get this when I follow the link? 'The owner of www.quotesaga.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.')
That's interesting - when clicking on the link via Safari I now get a message warning me of a security problem, although I can override it. I don't know if this has just appeared or what...

Ah - Matt replied as I was typing this.