Lockdowns

Tony.Williams

Lockdowns

Post by Tony.Williams »

Covid-19 is now spreading at such a rate that another national lockdown seems likely. The problem is - when to leave lockdown? The uncertainties involved seem to be causing as many problems as the lockdowns themselves.

If a total lockdown (with the possible exception of schools) is needed to stop the spread, would it not be more satisfactory to plan these? Have, say, one week of total lockdown nationwide, followed by three weeks of relative normality (with only major crowd events banned, plus maintaining social distancing and masks indoors, and frequent hand-washing of course). This one week on, three weeks off pattern could be continued for as long as necessary. It would be much easier for everyone to plan their lives, and businesses to plan their activities, if the lockdowns occurred on a regular schedule for a clearly defined period.

Thoughts?
chaggle

Re: Lockdowns

Post by chaggle »

I just don't know enough to comment Tony.

It seems to me that there is a huge amount of pressure of various kinds building and something's going to go pop soon.

Whether that's civil disobedience possibly leading to runaway infection, total collapse of the economy or whatever - I can't say.

But we really can't go on as we are.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Looks like another lockdown, at least in England, is on the cards. To December..?
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

bindeweede wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:10 pm Looks like another lockdown, at least in England, is on the cards. To December..?
Sounds good - we could celebrate the end of the lockdown at the same time as leaving the EU transitional arrangements. One final blast of a Christmas celebration before going down the plughole.

:yay :???: :gmc
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

That's good - I could do with the pub closed for a few weeks.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A four-week lockdown will be imposed across all of England on 5 November, closing pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops and with a ban on foreign travel.

Mixing with other households inside homes will also be outlawed, except for childcare, but schools and universities will remain open and outdoor exercise allowed.

Boris Johnson will confirm the screeching U-turn at a 5pm press conference – after he repeatedly said the so-called “circuit break” recommended by his scientists would not be necessary.

The prime minister ridiculed the idea when it was backed by Keir Starmer, insisting his three-tier approach of looser restrictions would tame Covid-19 – but infections have continued to surge.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 81913.html
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Fascinating to see reporters all breathlessly asking people what it was like to have the vaccine injection. :roll:

If they'd asked me, I would have been sorely tempted to say "Just felt a bit of a prick, really" :gmc
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Wonderful that the second person to be jabbed was one William Shakespeare from Stratford-upon-Avon (well - near enough anyway).

Asked how he felt he said 'Fine - much ado about nothing really'.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Just listened to Sir David King on Sky news.

He was Chief Scientific advisor to Blair and Brown - so his scientific credentials are sound.

However he is a chemist rather than a virologist or epidemiologist and he's a Labour man so might have an agenda. He's also chair of Independent Sage.

The essence of what he said was that the government's response is largely inadequate. The latest round of assignments to tier 3 are correct but are a minimum response, and the Christmas armistice is foolish in the extreme.

He said that the government is likely to rescind the Christmas measures and impose more drastic restrictions - effectively meaning that the family Christmas won't after all happen.

We were surprised here that we were downgraded from tier 3 to 2 on Thursday - meaning that we can go to the pub tonight for a pint and a scotch egg if we choose to - we haven't made up our minds yet.

Many pubs are not going to open even though they can - they are saying that it will cost more to open in a hurry and with the current restrictions, than to stay closed - particularly if they will have to close again in the new year or sooner which seems very likely.

What an unbelievable bloody mess.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

London and swathes of southeast England to move into Tier 4 from tomorrow, Boris Johnson announces

Gyms, hairdressers and non-essential shops in the new severe level of restrictions will be ordered to close their doors just days before Christmas.
So virtually back to March 23rd in those areas.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 76582.html
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Oh well, I can't say it makes any difference to us - we've been living in much the same way since March. The most daring adventure I've had in all that time was taking the car in for a service and MoT. :roll:

As long as my small local Co-op keeps going, we'll be OK. :thumb
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

We have between 15 - 20+ for an alcohol free Christmas for ex drunks and ex drug addicts.
Then I get to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights as normal.

Which tier we are in does not effect me work, Nisa(co-op) and Home.