What book are you reading at the moment?

lar-lar

Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by lar-lar »

Hi to everyone who remembers me .... and also to those who would rather forget me :O

This may have been mentioned already so apologies if so but I've just finished this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infidel-Ayaan- ... 1416526242

Fabulous read.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

lar-lar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 pm Hi to everyone who remembers me .... and also to those who would rather forget me :O

This may have been mentioned already so apologies if so but I've just finished this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infidel-Ayaan- ... 1416526242

Fabulous read.
Thanks for that lar-lar. Good to see you back. :thumb: I'm about 130 pages in to "Sapiens", what you recommended last time we met!
lar-lar

Post by lar-lar »

Hope you're enjoying it..?

I'm going to go through the thread here for some ideas because currently I have no books to read. Feeling lost!
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

lar-lar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm Hope you're enjoying it..?
Yes. "A Brief History of Humankind", (466 pages), does sound a bit intimidating, but actually it's very approachable. I just got a bit sidetracked by Daphne du Maurier... :thumb
lar-lar

Post by lar-lar »

Jolly good!

Where do I find the little happy faces on this forum? (that's emoticons not your members..I'm told they're miserable buggers :0 )
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

lar-lar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Where do I find the little happy faces on this forum? (that's emoticons not your members..I'm told they're miserable buggers :0 )
Once you've composed your post. click on "Full Editor and Preview".....you should be able to change size, colour (symbol to the left of size.)...and add smilies you should see on the right of your screen.
:thumb
lar-lar

Post by lar-lar »

:yay
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

I am currently about half-way through "Never Let Me Go", by Kazuo Ishiguro, the first of the eight novels he has published that I've come across. Narrated by Cathy, it starts off quite innocently describing the activities of children at a co-ed boarding school, but it soon becomes apparent that there are disturbing undertones. I'll just add some of the blurb.
Brilliant...What at first seems like an account of childhood in an idyllic country boarding house turns out to be sinister and profoundly troubling, a book that questions at the deepest level what it is to be human." (Vogue)
It is certainly involving and I'm getting through it at some speed. Have already ordered a second novel of his. :thumb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuo_Ishiguro#Novels
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I'm currently reading three books (not all at the same time!) which as it happens cover my interests quite well.

Heavy Weather: Tempestuous Tales of Stranger Climes, edited by Kevin Manwaring. One of the British Library anthologies which I get sent to review from time to time. This one is in their 'Tales of the Weird' series, rather than the usual 'Classic SF' ones, of which I have reviewed several on my SFF blog - if you have any interest in the history of SF, these are a must-read. Heavy Weather is a bit harder to summarise, but the best story in the book is Daphne du Maurier's The Birds - which inspired the 1963 Hitchcock horror film.

The Burial Circle by Kate Ellis. The most recent of her Wesley Peterson series (volume 24 and counting) following the life of a black detective inspector in a scenic part of Devon. Pure comfort reading, combining police procedural with archaeology and Devon life. The format is pretty much the same with each book, but that's OK with me!

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings. I haven't read a general history of WW2 for a long time, and this one is very good (I'm currently rewriting my book The Foresight War). There's a compelling combination of grand strategy summaries with the experiences of individuals revealed in extracts from letters and other documents.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony, that is a fascinating combination of current reading. I can add very little of interest, other than having finished "1984" for the second time, I ended up even more depressed than after the first read. Perhaps I should go for some lighter reading..."The Magnificent Appeal of Grouting" or similar.😀
Matt

Post by Matt »

Listened to a fascinating interview with Kazuo Ishiguro on the Adam Buxton Podcast. Five stars would recommend.
https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ ... hdmt-e2zpx

Current reading matter is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke which I thought I'd read after enjoying the TV adaptations and Terraform Up and Running by Yevgeniy Brikman which is study material.

The bookmark has not moved on either of them for over a month. I do need to make more time for reading.