"Line of Duty". BEWARE - SPOILERS

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: "Line of Duty".

Post by bindeweede »

Watched last night's episode. Either I am losing "it", or "it" is losing me. Who is telling the truth? Who is the good guy and who is the bad? I have no idea.

I expect that is exactly the point, of course. :roll:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

That climactic interview in the latest episode was a classic, was it not? I felt like giving a round of applause afterwards :bow
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote:That climactic interview in the latest episode was a classic, was it not? I felt like giving a round of applause afterwards :bow
Yes - brilliant.

I've got the feeling that the ACC - Hilton - isn't quite as bumbling and ineffectual as has he has been portrayed so far.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

The Radio Times has a lot of analysis...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04- ... s-answered
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: I've got the feeling that the ACC - Hilton - isn't quite as bumbling and ineffectual as has he has been portrayed so far.
And now he has no reason to butter-up Roz any more, as she's rejected his advances.
Tony.Williams

Re: "Line of Duty". BEWARE - SPOILERS

Post by Tony.Williams »

I hadn't seen much of Thandie Newton before this series, but I must say I'm highly impressed. She has the ability to speak volumes just with minor shifts in expression and body language - what might be called the homeopathic approach to acting, except that it works! I would not care to be on the receiving end of one of her bollock-freezing stares in real life :shock:

I must say I find it hard to understand what her character sees in the rather ineffectual twit of a husband the plot has landed her with. But possibly I'm biased, as I remember him playing an equally unimpressive character in another police series whose name I forget.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

She's scarily superb isn't she?

She was in Mission Impossible 2 many years ago - just remember her being rather beautiful.

Ted Hastings, head of AC12, is a great character.

AC12 would do well to interview Jodie.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Just seen Martin Compston (plays Steve Arnott) talking and nearly didn't recognise him because of his accent. :shock:

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Tony.Williams wrote: I must say I find it hard to understand what her character sees in the rather ineffectual twit of a husband the plot has landed her with. But possibly I'm biased, as I remember him playing an equally unimpressive character in another police series whose name I forget.
Found it - Inspector George Gently, with Martin Shaw in the lead role, Lee Ingelby (Roz's husband) as his morally dubious subordinate.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Just caught up with the latest episode.

Next week's finale should be quite intriguing. Roz is obviously covering for someone, but who? I suspect that "family friend" of a lawyer....
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I hope everyone has seen the last episode now?

Certainly lots of dramatic twists and turns and more than a few surprises. I did end up rather dissatisfied, though. One of the golden rules of detective fiction (I recall reading many years ago) is that the bad guy must be one of the main characters in order to give the readers/audience a fair chance of working out who it might be. You can't just produce a new character like a rabbit out of a hat in the final scene - that's cheating!

Well the finale not only broke that rule in the case of Balaclava Man, but also wasn't satisfied with identifying one bad guy - it chose half the cast instead!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I think many people thought that balaclava man might be more than one person.

For someone acting with the best of intentions - Roz "I'm not a bad guy" made a lot of mess.

TBH not a huge number of surprises in the end. But excellent all the same.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: For someone acting with the best of intentions - Roz "I'm not a bad guy" made a lot of mess.
Yep - after accidentally killing one person, then trying to frame him as the Balaclava Man, then trying to frame that inadequate young man for his murder, then trying to frame that East European girl as well, then finally trying to frame her own husband - I hate to think what her definition of a "bad person" might be!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote:
chaggle wrote: For someone acting with the best of intentions - Roz "I'm not a bad guy" made a lot of mess.
Yep - after accidentally killing one person, then trying to frame him as the Balaclava Man, then trying to frame that inadequate young man for his murder, then trying to frame that East European girl as well, then finally trying to frame her own husband - I hate to think what her definition of a "bad person" might be!
:y
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

She looked a bit different at the Met Ball last night (from the Mail Online):