New Years Resolutions

Matt

New Years Resolutions

Post by Matt »

Though there is an overlap between cynicism and skepticism, and I can provide no logical reason why people should make resolutions on New Years Eve, it is still the case that many people do. It is possible that in joining together in choosing and announcing these resolutions we might find them more effective.

It is recommended by some to make SMART goals. That is to say Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timebound though this is entirely optional.

So I thought that I'd start this thread to record my resolutions for 2019 in a place where I might be have to face them in the future and evaluate my success. I invite others to do the same.

So to kick off here are my two modest resolutions.

1) To read every day from a book. I read almost constantly but from screens. I suspect that imposing this restriction on my leisure reading I might be forced into perusing more edifying material.

2) Pass two career qualifications. Last year's passes were AWS Solutions Architect associate, and Windows 2016 exam 70-740 This year I intend to pass exam 70-741 and at least one other, yet to be decided.
chaggle

Re: New Years Resolutions

Post by chaggle »

I have felt slightly guilty for some time about not reading from books - I used to be a voracious reader. Don't really know why I feel guilty about it.

However as I have been given one for Christmas by Stephen Hawking (I mean the book was by him not that he gave it to me :roll: ) I may find myself reading that at some point.

Not a big one for resolutions. I will try to drink less but probably not in a SMART fashion.

Good luck with yours.

Which is about as much use as praying for you.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I'm one of the dinosaurs - I only ever read books (and paper magazines) and usually have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go at any one time.

My resolution is to finish writing a book - one I've been working on for years - my magnum opus, a technical history of automatic cannon and their ammunition. The first draft is pretty well finished but there's a great deal of checking to be done, additional examples to be given, photos to be acquired etc.
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

One of my resolutions is to be more polite this year. I have made a couple more but I'm not sharing them with you bastards.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

chaggle wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm I have felt slightly guilty for some time about not reading from books - I used to be a voracious reader. Don't really know why I feel guilty about it.

However as I have been given one for Christmas by Stephen Hawking (I mean the book was by him not that he gave it to me :roll: ) I may find myself reading that at some point.

Not a big one for resolutions. I will try to drink less but probably not in a SMART fashion.

Good luck with yours.

Which is about as much use as praying for you.
I failed already.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

All respect and encouragement to those who make New Year Resolutions. I gave up on them myself several years ago, as I lack determination and persistence, and am totally unable to resist temptation. (Or unwilling?)

There are things I know I should try to do, and other things I know I should try not to do. But these days, I just think, "Bugger-it. I'll just have another small one".
Strangely, that leaves me quite happy. For the moment, at least. :thumb:
lar-lar

Post by lar-lar »

I've made one for the first time ever and I'll let you know what is was and how it's going in a few months (I'm confident I'll do it).