Fake Bomb Detectors.

chaggle

Re: Fake Bomb Detectors.

Post by chaggle »

Anyone considering using google images to see what DD means by his last para - I warn against it. :s
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

chaggle wrote:Anyone considering using google images to see what DD means by his last para - I warn against it. :s
Bob warned me and if it shocks bob then I'm not looking :h2
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

Trees sentenced at last for their part in the fake detectors trade:

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot.co ... enced.html
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Dubious Dick wrote:Trees sentenced at last for their part in the fake detectors trade:

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot.co ... enced.html
Great news! It is also on the BBC site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29477894

And, at time of writing, is the 4th most read story. So it is really getting out there.

Well done Dick, I hope you are feeling happy today.

:br
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Well done from me too! :thumb: I has been a long haul.
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

A follow up story by Caroline Hawley at the BBC which highlights some of the questions that still remain i.e. why are some if these devices still in use in some parts of the World, and how come the U.K Government supported export sales despite warnings as early as 2001.

Caroline was the reporter on the Newsnight stories back in 2010 and 2011, produced by Meirion Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29459896
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

And for those of you that have been following this story, here's a comment on my blog post about the sentencong of the Trees, which you might find interesting/amusing:

Anonymous blog comment:

I'm fairly surprised that she didn't get a custodial sentence. After all, Joan knew as much about Sam's little/huge scam as he did. She was "tuning" the "devices" to the required frequency using sterilised scissors etc.
You're right about Sam bringing the idea to Europe although back then, nearly twenty years ago, it probably seemed like nothing more than a bit of a wheeze.
Malcolm had seen the potential to turn a novelty golf ball "finder" into something rather more lucrative and Sam had the luck/misfortune to see Roe waving his magic wand about at some police convention in the US.
Sam chuckled ruefully at this first encounter with Roe, "The Bounder."
That conversation, probably, went something like this:
Tree: That's interesting! How does it work?
Roe: At this moment, it's tuned to detect mugs.
Tree: Why's it pointing at me, then?
Roe: Only kidding. I've set the frequency to "bank notes."
Tree: Wow. That's amazing. It's pointing straight to my wallet.
Roe: It appears so, yes.
Tree: How does it REALLY work, though?
Roe: Gravity combined with a low coefficient of friction in the pivot.
Tree: Oh. How dull. I didn't really do physics at school.
Roe: That's the beauty of this device. It defies the boring laws of physics that nobody's interested in. You could make a packet.
Tree: OK, what else can it detect?
Roe: *slants wrist* WIGS. That guy over there is wearing a toupée.
Tree: So he is. Wait here, sir. I must make an international call to my imports manager, Joan, and tell her the good news.
Roe: OK. *yawns*

Thus, Keygrove Intl. comes into being.
The Trees legitimate business was flogging forensics equipment to UK police forces. Plenty of contacts there, then.
Quadro® could have been nailed as fraudsters in the US fifteen? years ago but, as we have seen, not all jurys can see through the waving arial effect.
Roe jumped bail, I believe, and slummed it with his new-found friends, The Trees, in Bedfordshire for longer than he was welcome. They helped him, financially, and he went on to other projects before dying [citation needed].

Anonymous ;)

Notes: STRIKE-Code kann nicht übernommen werden'
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

More good news! Just heard today that David Vollmar and Frank Trier of Unival GmbH have been charged with 47 counts of fraud in Germany in relation to their marketing and selling of HEDD1, which is a renamed Sniffex.

Sniffex was 'invented' by Yuri Markov, a Bulgarian who fled the U.S. when the SEC went after him and others for stock fraud.

Let's hope these numpties get the same sort of treatment as James McCormick and Gary Bolton!

A certain person in Germany deserves a lot of credit for this! He followed up the work Lumpy Low, Techowiz and I did on trying to pin these bastards down, and really did a great job of documenting their whole damn scam, then alerting and hassling the German authorities to do something.

Here is a Google translation of this:

http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/bon ... 52793.html

Process for fraud
Bonner said to have sold useless devices worldwide
Rita Klein

BONN. The charge of the prosecution against a merchant Bonner weighs heavily: The 42-year-old CEO of a company for safety systems, "UNIVAL group" is said to have sold around the world explosives detectors, although it did not work.
Now, the businessman was accused in 47 cases on suspicion of commercial fraud. The authorities said on Monday, a spokeswoman said.

For the prosecution is clear: Although the 42-year-old knew by the end of 2010 that the devices are not served their purpose, he sold them into other things to Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Iraq, Pakistan, China and Vietnam.

Only from February 2011 until the end of June 2013 he made so sales of two and a half million Euros. And with that he committed according to the indictment a commercial fraud.

Had set the ball rolling, the British authorities. They had taken the first in the case of the handy explosives detector with name HEDD 1 investigations. When she finally came across his name in the British partners of the Bonn merchant, they turned a German colleagues.

As the Bonn prosecutor now announced that the British had sought the opinion of an expert at the University of Cambridge, after which by the Bonn-selling explosives detector "functionless" was. Subsequently, the British occupied the unit with an operating ban, said the Bonn government spokeswoman.

You said on Monday further comprising: In Germany, the device was tested for its functionality and is doing so twice: once by experts from the Federal and also by the Federal Office for Materials Research and Testing. Both times the result is Failed: The device has no properties have been demonstrated, which served the discovery of explosive materials. Each time the Bonn manager was informed of the result, and also the British operation prohibition was told.

According to prosecutors, of Bonn, the unit has worked very well what he could demonstrate with an appraisal. But this opinion, the prosecutor came from his British partner and is therefore worthless. The Declaration of the 42-year-old, he had successfully demonstrated the device at police headquarters in Luxembourg, does not count for the Bonn investigators. For inquiries in Luxembourg had shown that the Bonn was not subject to monitoring during the action.

For the defense of the accused businessman, Norbert Gatzweiler, it is clear that his client is unjustly persecuted because the device working. He told the General-Anzeiger on Monday on request: "It is bought anywhere in the world by the police." The lawyer will apply to the competent third Great Trial Chamber to reject the opening of proceedings.

the Company

The company UNIVAL group was founded in 2008 and advertises on its website in English and Arabic with reliable safety technology of any kind. It describes itself as a group of companies with headquarters in Bonn, which operates in 35 countries worldwide.

As a German company the company promises the highest quality standards, customer-focused service and reliability. In addition to the question explosives detector, which she offers as before, she has, inter alia, fingerprint readers, bullet-proof vests and helmets and safety training on offer

For more info/background see:

http://sniffexquestions.blogspot.co.uk/

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot.co.uk/

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.co.uk/
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

More good news indeed.

:thumb:
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Gary Bolton, jailed in 2013 for sale of more than 1,000 fake devices, has three months to pay penalty or face further seven years in prison
During a confiscation hearing, Sarah Whitehouse QC, prosecuting, told the Old Bailey that Bolton had made about £6.8m from his criminal activities but his assets were much lower.

Judge Richard Hone QC ordered that he pay £1,265,624.59....
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ary-bolton
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

Greetings!. Apologies for my lengthy absence (to those that have missed me) and apologies for my reappearance (to those that have not - you know who you are! :lo). Also well done to B and those who have helped migrate the forum. It is unlikely that I will be able to participate much as I have found myself some gainful employment and that is taking up a great deal of time and energy, but will try to keep an occasional watching brief on the goings on around here.

Well, the old scam reappears again. The CFAST, which first appeared with claims that it could detect the HIV virus. |Now we hear that it is being used at hotels in Sharm el Sheikh hotels to 'detect' explosives. It would be funny if it was not!

I won't link to the news stories because the ones I know of are in The Fail and The Scum, but if you search for CFAST, Egypt, and Sharm el Sheikh hotels hopefully you will find something in a less unsavoury outlet.

All best, DD
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Yes, DD. Here......"Egypt plane crash: 'Fake' bomb detectors being used by hotel security guards searching for explosives"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 28066.html
Brian1945

Post by Brian1945 »

The newspaper is being rather disingenuous with its headline. Surely the fake devices used by hotel security staff would not lead to explosives getting through airport security and onto planes. Yes the use of such devices is a danger to life, yes it's disgrace, yes it's barely credible in 2015, but its not directly related to, let alone a possible cause, of the air crash.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Apparently, amazingly, these things are still in use...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... s-sold-by/
Iraq’s prime minister ordered fake bomb detectors sold to the country by a British businessman to be removed from checkpoints as the death toll from Saturday’s bombing in a busy Baghdad shopping street rose to at least 147.

Iraqi leader Haider al-Abadi also asked the interior ministry to launch a new investigation into “corrupt deals” to buy the fake bomb detectors, known as ADE 651, which are still in use in Iraq three years after British conman James McCormick was jailed for selling them.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

The Iraqi government has finally banned the use of fake bomb detectors.
The reason it took so long is likely the widespread corruption in the government. Iraqis mocked the device from the start, joking that too much aftershave could set off the antenna.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016 ... blast.html